Farrah's Reviews > Wilde's Meadow

Wilde's Meadow by Krystal Wade

Nov 02, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in November, 2012

This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

Wow. So much happened that I'm still struggling to process all of it. In a nutshell, Wilde's Meadow was an epic ending! I honestly needed a few hours after finishing the book before I was able to process everything that had happened.

I don't even know where to begin...
Let's just start with my favorite part: Kate and Arland's relationship. As always, they were the most adorable couple ever, the most perfect example of true love. It just made me smile to read about their relationship. Both characters grew so much throughout the course of the book. Kate was forced to mature quickly after seeing the brutal reality of the war and shouldering the guilt of having some of the people in her army killed. But she handles it admirably.
Arland was just as amazing as always. So sweet, determined, strong, protective, sacrificing. He's just freaking perfect. There is just no other word to describe him. And, their relationship...escalates. I'll let you puzzle out what I mean by that before I'm tempted to give away a huge spoiler.

Perth is one character that really grew on me. The first book, he was awful. The second, he got better, but I was still kind of unsure. This one, I adored him. He definitely redeemed himself and proved to everyone that he is a strong, capable leader. I ended up with him as one of my favorite characters.

There are A LOT of deaths in this book. And not just random strangers that we don't know about, but some of the characters that we all know and love. Somehow, it wasn't sad. And before you go wondering why I would think that a favorite character dying isn't sad, I can't give that away without spoiling the whole book. You'll have to read it yourself to find out :) But they did make the war feel more real. I remember JK Rowling once saying that she would kill off favorite characters so that readers could truly feel the horror of a war. And that worked with Wilde's Meadow. Having some favorite taken out made the war seem for read and tangible. And I can appreciate that. Realism is always good in a book.

The plot went at breakneck speed. It begins with the last night Kate spends in the city before she has to leave to fight for Encardia. It hits the ground running, then shoots forward, leaving absolutely no dull moments, just continuous excitement, twists, surprises. It was a whirlwind. The ending was perfect for the series. It gives an epilogue a few years after the end of the fighting. So we get to see what the future has in store for our lovely characters.

Wilde's Meadow was absolutely epic. If you liked the previous Wilde's books, you will adore this conclusion.

5/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilde's Meadow.