Maggie Stiefvater's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Dec 29, 08

bookshelves: young-adult, recommended

As a YA author, I'd heard the name "John Green" whispered in the YA wind for months, but I'd never picked up one of his books until I read a synopsis for AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES online. My husband, a pretty reluctant reader, snitched it from me and devoured it, so I was expecting great things.

I wasn't disappointed. This story of a boy struggling to come up with a theory that describes the arc of his 19 relationships with girls named Katherine was, in many places, laugh out loud funny. Even with flashbacks, the pacing never flagged, and though it wasn't the world's most unpredictable plot, I was never bored.

The real charm in this book is both the characters -- larger than life, quirky people who don't quite fit into society -- and the dialog. In John Green's hands, dialog is a weapon . . . and he slayed me.

I'm thrilled that he has a two other novels and a recent anthology for me to work through next.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.

Nina Sundermeyer Read The Fault In Our Stars, if this is the first book of his you've read, it's worth it.