Roger Cottrell's Reviews > Seduced By Magic

Seduced By Magic by Stephanie Julian

M 50x66
Dec 29, 08

I never could write fantasy fiction myself. Too much gritty realism in all those crime thrillers, I guess, and even my (cyberpunk) science fiction has a realist edge. But I can appreciate what is good and bad in fantasy fiction's manipulation of symbolism and myth. While much less dark (it is a romantic fantasy after all) it is for me evocative of Slaughterhouse 5 and Clive Barker's Weaveworld. Why? Because this novel also works well through its shifts from the concrete to the fantastic worlds - and through its juxtaposition of the two. If fantasy is the escape from the mundane and alter ego to the mundane, this novel provides the route map like Alice into the looking glass or Dorothy to Oz. When you've had enough of corrupt cops, fascists, football hooligans, corporate gangsters, bent politicians, computer hackers, terrorists, flawed antiheroes and the usual stuff I write about, this book is the perfect anti-dote - and a very good read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduced By Magic.

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Roger, thank you so much for your great review and for reading my story. I truly appreciate it and I'm just so glad you enjoyed it.

Kurt Vonnegut and Clive Barker? Really? You can't imagine the huge smile on my face. I am, after all, still an English major at heart.

Roger Cottrell And I'm still an English PHD (who taught Vonneghut to Year One English students at Queens University Belfast). It doesn't always help with the street wise dialogue but as they say where I come from, you can take the boy out of South Birmingham but you can't take South Birmingham out of the boy!

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria the cover of this book should be cover up for those who are on the PG level