karen's Reviews > Mary Modern

Mary Modern by Camille DeAngelis

Jan 03, 09

bookshelves: death-is-not-the-end, table, favorites
Read in January, 2009

my emotional development stopped at the "tell me a story" phase, and thats all i expect from a book. i dont need it to change my life, i dont need it to answer every one of my questions, i dont need it to teach me about any historical atrocity. this is not a perfect book, but it is a deeply entertaining book. its true that the characters are largely unlikable, but thats also true of wuthering heights and jude the obscure, two of my all time favorites. if its the idea of cloning that is upsetting the more delicately religious/political folks, just power through - pretend its like a unicorn in a fantasy novel or the spontaneous combustion in bleak house - it is something that is happening just to drive plot - it isnt reeeeealll - its genuine fun in the vein of liz jensen or when jonathan coe is being funny. do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Modern.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Crimson Fucker You know I had a huge fight over the fact that I hated this review and somebody else love it! and I’m aobut to vote it too!!! Seriously kill me!!! Kill me now!!!

Funny fact about my compulsive review reading morning: my cousin just told me I look constipated..

karen jesus. hated?? it mentions unicorns! whats to hate? you can say it isnt particularly helpful, but hate is so strong!