Rose's Reviews > The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): Urban Adventure - Wilderness Survival - Disaster Preparedness

The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life) by Outdoor Life Magazine

F 50x66
Sep 10, 12

I have read a few preparedness/survival manuals and must say this is an excellent one. The layout is clean which, added to the logical order, makes the book easy to read. The author stresses a small number of basic rules and shows a sense of humor (Rule #1 for survival: Stay alive.). Survival in an urban environment is not something found in all survival manuals but the truth is that in the US many of us would be faced with exactly that situation; this is one of three sections including Wilderness and Disaster. I'm especially pleased that Ultimate Survival doesn't foster the "don't trust anyone" mindset of some such manuals. In fact, Rule #4 is "Live with integrity" which the authors say involves caring about others. In addition to providing case studies and instructions on how to deal with specific situations, there is appropriate general information about some disaster-causing events such as a volcano blowing or an earthquake or tsunami. All of this supports the basic tenets of this book: knows what's happening, know what's important, plan and follow through. To Outdoor Life and to Richard Johnson, I say well done. This is one manual I'd like to keep in my library.

Review also posted @ netgalley.com, amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com and LibraryThing.com.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life).