Jaime Wright's Reviews > Be Still My Soul

Be Still My Soul by Joanne Bischof

Sep 10, 12

Read in September, 2012

Setting: Think Catherine Marshall's "Christy". I mean, it's not really the same, but that feeling of the backwoods life in the Appalachian mountains is there. The culture, the suspicions, the bootlegging, the abuse, the hardness, and the bitterness caused from a hard life ... it's ALL THERE!
Romance: There are no butterflies in this book. In fact, Joanne masterfully makes you really not like the hero while at the same time, you hope for his redemption.. He's actually a jerk. A likeable jerk. I don't know HOW you did it, Joanne! And Lonnie ... what a sweet, victimized heroine who's gutsy one-liners make you cheer even while Lonnie delivers them with spit and sass and then ducks away like an abused little puppy.
Plot: Survival. Unwanted pregnacy. Betrayel. Need. Loss. It's all there. Joanne's story made me cry in parts -- it hit too close to home in one spot. It made me want to left-hook the hero and Lonnie's father. It made me smile in moments of hope.
Message: It's there in spades. What I loved about this novel was the fact that the heroine held fast to her faith and she didn't get relief from her troubles, but waded through the mire finding rest -- uneasy rest -- but the kind of rest that comes from a faith that God will guide us through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be Still My Soul.