Daisiemae's Reviews > Perfect Man

Perfect Man by Shawn Lane

Jan 06, 09

bookshelves: male-male-romance-erotica, books-read-in-2009, books-reviewed-in-2009, books-to-i-will-never-part-with, contemporary-romance, e-book
Recommended to Daisiemae by: I really love the authors other books
Recommended for: All of my friends who want depth to their romance
Read in January, 2009, read count: one of many I am sure

This book was an unexpected gem for me. I am not surprised that I enjoyed it so much because I am a fan of Shawn's other books, but what surprised me about it is the emotional rollercoaster the characters go through. If you are looking for a storyline where is is all rainbows and sunsets, this book is not for you. What you get when you read Perfect Man is well written characters that are flawed, but so easy to get behind and root for.

I really don't want to get too much into the storyline itself because I don't want to give anything away. I am afraid if I get into it too much it will spoil it, but I will try my best.

Alex has been living with the pain of being different all of his life. When he was in high school, he came out to his friends and was immediately rejected. He was made fun of and tormented for his homosexuality. The ring leader of the verbal abuse was his boyhood hero and crush Craig.

Although it has been many years later, and Alex is successful in other aspects of his life, he can't forget the cruel taunts and miserable feelings he had in high school and it has effected his life in some ways.

When his sister insists on setting him up on a blind date with a "Craig" from her work, Alex reluctantly agrees. When he meets the very handsome and sexy Craig he soon becomes horrified. The "Craig" his sister insisted who was so nice and handsome is the Craig that put him through hell in his past. To make matters worse, Craig doesn't know who Alex is. Alex doesn't know if he should be insulted, relieved or if some sick joke is being played on him.

Craig had noticed the picture of Alex on his co-workers desk and was immediately attracted to him. When he meets Alex in person he can't believe this beautiful, intelligent man is still single. But, as Alex starts discussing past wrongs, Craig starts remembering his behavior and is stunned that this is THAT Alex. Knowing he isn't the boy that once was so cruel, he decides to stick the date out, and try to get Alex to give him a chance to prove that he isn't the sad, grief-stricken boy of his youth.

At first, I was like Alex. I wanted to hate Craig. He said and did horrible things to Alex, so I understood why Alex had so many problems dealing with his past. But, as the story progressed and we start having an insight of Craig's past and present I began to like him and wish for him and Alex to find forgiveness, love and happiness together.

I LOVED this book! It is my favorite book by Shawn so far! If you are offended by a beautiful lovestory, endearing characters who are very well developed, hot sex and a happy ending this book is not for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Aww, shucks, you make me blush, Shellie. Thanks for your very thoughtful, kind review. It made my day.

Daisiemae Thank you, Shawn for writing such a beautiful love story:) I loved it:)
When is your next story coming out???

message 3: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Great review!:D

Daisiemae Thanks Auntee:) I appreciate it:)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Shellie, I have one coming out this weekend, January 11th I think, called At Long Last, from Amber Quill.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Craig reminds me a lot of some of my students. They come in and act like jerks, but if everyone knew what was going on at home, we'd all understand the behavior.

message 7: by Mahlet (new) - added it

Mahlet awesome review! I love the set up - blind date with your childhood tormentor, wow!

Gabbi Great review! Gonna have to pick this one up!

Lindsay Nice Review