Steve's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Dec 28, 08

bookshelves: fiction, made-into-film
Read in November, 2008

This was s fascinating take on time traveling. In this case it's a genetic disorder. Henry has no control over his travels. Stress is a usual trigger or sometimes flickering images like TV. When he goes nothing goes with him. Dental fillings don't even stick. This has caused Henry to develop quite a few skills for survival. He is an accomplished pickpocket, lock pick, runner and fighter.

This is a love story that does a commendable job of describing how Henry's disorder affects him and the people around him. Clare, his wife, meets Henry at 40 while she is a child. Early on Henry gives Clare a list of dates he will appear. Henry becomes Clare's biggest secret growing up. Once they meet in real time, Clare has known Henry most of her life, but Henry has yet to go back in time to meet her for the first time.

Overall I liked this a lot more than I thought I would going in. It's one of the better stories I read in the last few years. Apparently it will be coming out on the big screen sometime in 2009.