Hazel (Stay Bookish)'s Reviews > Rebel Angels

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Aug 26, 14

Read in September, 2012

Rebel Angels is the second novel to Libba Bray's infamous Gemma Doyle series. It's almost Christmas and Spence Academy is in a jolly mood except for Gemma, Ann and Felicity. Having lost their friend Pippa, the holiday only brought coldness upon the girls. Ever since Pippa's death, they had not enter the realms, the wonderful paradise that only ended up taking one of theirs. Still, they must find a way to move on and to restore the balance that was undone by the destruction of the runes. The girls must find the Temple that would be able to bind the magic of the realms.

Just as I was thinking "Another series with a boring sequel", Rebel Angels suddenly gets more exciting. What with a new mysterious teacher, a new love interest and a whole Christmas vacation away from Spence, things certainly were heating up. The dragging feeling I felt beforehand was long gone as it was replace by a strong desire to devour all the words and turn the pages fast. This book was definitely better than the first. And even though I'll never swoon over Kartik, I definitely liked him better here. All the characters really had several developments in Rebel Angels. The girls, Gemma, Felicity and Ann show more of their vulnerable sides but they come out stronger heroines. Even Mrs. Nightwing becomes more than just your average scary headmistress as we find out what her story is.

In this second novel, we discover more about the realms, more of what dwells in this mystic place. We learn that no once can be trusted, not even those who we consider friends. We learn about anagrams and several truths. We learn about destiny and choices. I daresay, this book will keep you hooked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Angels.