Kirk's Reviews > I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max

Dec 28, 08

bookshelves: stinks-like-a-hog

This book makes me embarrassed to be a man. The fact that it has sold 400,000 copies makes embarrassed to be a reader. That it's justified as bathroom reading makes me embarrassed to own a toilet. To folks who happen to like it: hey, to each his own. My opinions are worth both sides of the two-ply they're printed on and nothing more. But as wussy as the words are, the whole premise---I'm an obnoxious alco-fuckaholic, but I know it, so the joke's not on me---lacks two things I'm sorta fond of: compassion and maturity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

RandomAnthony Well said, sir...bathroom reading at best...but I've got better magazines in there.

message 2: by Meen (new)

Meen Yay, Kirk!

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix The scary part for me is the fact that this guy managed to get published.

message 4: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda My dear Kirk, this problem with the lack of compassion and maturity is depressing, and unfortunately, overwhelmingly common. Pisses me off. And I want to find someone to blame!!!!!!! Who can we blame?

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix Dick Cheney is a perfect target for this blame.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi This is the second awful review I've seen for this book. Frankly, I've seen it at Borders and won't touch it with a 39-1/2 foot pole. It seems to be part of the druggie genre popularized by people like Hunter S. Thompson. I never understood that kind of "literature".

message 7: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Plus, his name is Dick.

message 8: by Amanda (last edited Dec 29, 2008 08:06AM) (new) - added it

Amanda Not that I've read the book--and I probably won't EVER read it--but even though it's shit "literature" it seems to be filled with tales that accurately reflect how people behave today. These bastards are for real, that's the scariest part.

message 9: by Salma (new)

Salma lol- great review. this why I tend to stick with the classics.

Elizabeth "This book makes me embarrassed to be a man." refreshing.

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi i don't know you, but i am cracking up reading this:
That it's justified as bathroom reading makes me embarrassed to own a toilet

awesome.

Laina If this book made you embarrassed to be a man then you are a GOOD MAN!! congrats

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kirk is a great man.

message 14: by David (last edited Oct 22, 2009 06:03PM) (new)

David Katzman Re: Sandi #6 It seems to be part of the druggie genre popularized by people like Hunter S. Thompson. I never understood that kind of "literature".

This book has absolutely nothing in common with Hunter S. Thompson. HST was a badass journalist who spoke truth to power and experimented with drugs for fun and to blow his own mind. He was political and opinionated and questioned authority, even if peopled didn't like him. In fact, if people liked him, then he wasn't doing his job. HST may have been an asshole, but he wasn't shallow.

I don't think there is a "genre" of druggie-literature, and if there was, this would not be part of it. Perhaps it falls into a species of alcoholic autobiographies. If you want to pull out the king of literature that involved drugs, i would turn to William S. Burroughs who was an avant-garde genius, and a drug addict for part of his life. The only thing these two have in common is that they put some words on pieces of paper that were printed into books.

I would also note that there are tremendous differences between drugs, as well. Alcohol and pot, for example are quite different and should not be lumped together. Alcohol and psychedelic drugs are also in radically different realms. Writing about these different drugs can produce extremely different works of literature (or trash). Timothy Leary writes about psychedelic drugs as a pathway to universal love and connectedness (and God). I can't imagine anything more distinct from this book of selfish-bastardness.

My point is, I hope you'll reconsider your blanket generalization. I, for one, value drugs, but not poorly written trash about ANY subject.

peace!

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie I was going through the airport recently and saw this book. It had a movie cover- I recognized the actor from Gilmore Girls- I've never read the book so any opinions on how it'll be as a movie?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Montambo wrote: "In my own little world, nobody reads while on the toilet. It makes it much easier to buy used books while under that delusion. Nobody does, okay?"

This is why you should never go to libraries or buy used books. There's fecal debris on those books!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

SICK!

There isn't.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

THERE SO IS. Those books are covered with flakes of poop, dandruff from pubic hair, bodily fluids, and possibly anthrax. But if you're too cheap to buy new, then enjoy those microbes.

message 20: by Ben (new)

Ben Confession: I've lent out a book that I've had in the bathroom with me.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Holy hell.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

You might as well rub it on your anus before you hand it over, Netanyahu.

message 23: by Gary (new) - rated it 1 star

Gary I tried to read this book because a friend i really respect, (a woman, no less!) loved it,and said i must read it. i like to say off color comments to make people laugh, i'll admit that, but....i don't act the way this jerk does in this book. i couldn't get into it at all. i think it does reflect how most people act these days. manners aren't practiced anymore. no comments about books on the john. except nothing surprises me about dk. anyway, this book sucks!

message 24: by Gary (new) - rated it 1 star

Gary Ben wrote: "Confession: I've lent out a book that I've had in the bathroom with me."

ben, you totally crack me up! so subtle!!

message 25: by Gary (new) - rated it 1 star

Gary Annie wrote: "I was going through the airport recently and saw this book. It had a movie cover- I recognized the actor from Gilmore Girls- I've never read the book so any opinions on how it'll be as a movie? "

a movie!!?? the last "comedy" i saw, it sucked. the humor was just stupid raunch stuff. nobody was laughing. what is happening to our world,folks?

message 26: by Gary (new) - rated it 1 star

Gary this will be just another stupid movie, to appeal to stupid people. sorry, that's how i see it. i can just visualize the type of person that will run to the movie theater to see it. the "epic" movies with a decent plot are a thing of the past. the ones that do have a plot do terrible at the box office. like the "benjamin button" movie was great!!!! i've not talked to one person that has seen it. or if i mention it, they glaze over, as if, why would anyone want to see that? people don't talk about excellent movies, or books anymore. at least not in the area i live in. it's sad!!!!

message 27: by Gary (new) - rated it 1 star

Gary any suggestions on where i can move to, to find stimulating people that read,and see decent movies?

message 28: by Gary (new) - rated it 1 star

Gary i guess i need to go back to bed! ha!

Carolanne Can I please just comment that A. This book is awful and Tucker Max is an asshole to the billionth power B. it is sad that he is getting rich off of him being a f-ing idiot C. It is even sadder that a lot of men look up to him & idolize him and D. (most importantly-) Benjamin Button was a really bad movie and the acting was horrible.

A side note, I am really ashamed to have read this book when it first came out...but I didn't finish it. Does that count for anything??

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle That depends...did you buy it or did someone lend it to you?

Incidentally, I love the bookshelf for this one. It made me curious to see which other books Kirk had on it - one was a Philip Roth novel, which amused me for some reason.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't believe they made a movie. Gross.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I refuse to see it or support it in any way. I hope it made very little money.

message 33: by JSou (new)

JSou First off, this thread is hilarious. But I had to comment since my ex-husband called me just last week to say he heard about this book on the radio and he bought it. Figures.

I don't know if he was trying to show off that was actually reading a book or what, but it made me cringe.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Like everyone else I saw your comment and had to leave one you are so awesome lol I actually started dating a guy that put this as his favorite book on facebook and he started to act like the guy who wrote it and I kicked him to the curb haha... Anyways I applaud you for your comment!:)