Therese's Reviews > Where the River Ends

Where the River Ends by Charles Martin

Dec 28, 08

Recommended to Therese by: Cathy (Partners in Crime)
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** After hearing about this book from a friend, I was very anxious to read it. This is the story about Abbie and Doss, happily married for 14 years. Abbie is the well-to-do daughter of a senator and Doss is a painter, barely making a living. They meet, fall in love, and marry, sharing a wonderful life together. Ten years into their marriage, Abbie is diagnosed with breast cancer. After four years of surgeries, treatments, and clinical trials, Abbie is near the end of her life. At one point during her care and treatment, Abbie makes a list of ten things she would like to do before dying. One is to float the St. Marys river as she and Doss did on their honeymoon. During the trip, she and Doss are able to acomplish more on her list than they ever thought possible.

This was a so-so book. Not much character development, very predictable, sad but not very imaginative. Perhaps the main reason I didn't like it that much was that my own sister was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer 3 years ago for which she underwent extensive treatment. It's difficult to read what you have experienced.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the River Ends.