Hallie's Reviews > This Is What Happy Looks Like

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

Jun 07, 2013

bookshelves: this-side-of-pond-pub, broken-arm-special-review
Read in May, 2013

So this was the book I'd just bought when I smashed my elbow, and this was also the first thing I read after the surgery, showing me just how much fun it can be to hold a fairly large, tightly bound book while actually, y'know, reading. However, none of that was the book's fault, and luckily didn't make me unduly cranky towards it! I did prefer THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT slightly, but still found this to be much more than the lighter-than-air romance it sounds as if it's going to be, as was true for the previous book. I thought I'd guessed what Ellie's big secret was, but was totally wrong, and I found it an interesting one. Something that has often been on the news, but I liked seeing it from Ellie's perspective, and thought her mother's reaction was a very understandable one. I liked Ellie's mother and their relationship, loved the setting, and very much liked Graham, even if he was somewhat unbelievably untouched by his sudden fame - or rather, affected by it in a sadder way than many celebrities. The way the whole moon pies thing ran right through made me smile. Not realist drama of the most solemn realism, but a good story about likeable people, so I was happy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is What Happy Looks Like.

06/07/2013 marked as: read