Deb's Reviews > The Dressmaker

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

Sep 10, 12

I found this book through one of those "If you loved. ..., then you will love ...". In this case, "The Dressmaker" was presented to those who might have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms from Dowton Abbey. It seems the reasoning was the hierarchal class system, present in both, as well as the historical fiction element, which is what always attracts me. My 9 yr. old son loves anything about the Titanic - I even hiked in high heels to the exhibit at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas (worth it - very nice exhibit) to get him more information so I was pleasantly surprised at the level of detail that actual Titanic events were portrayed, especially the hearings convened in the U.S. almost immediately upon the survivors' arrival. The actual story of Tess, a survivor, and her relationships she keeps from the Titanic and those she makes as she attempts to start her new life in America, now a dual meaning, drew me in and always had me wondering what would happen next, making it difficult to put the book down and get some rest! I didn't always agree with the pace of how things came to Tess or her choices for love, but it's a story and a good one. Read it if you'd like to be entertained while learning a little bit of something, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dressmaker.