Big Book Little Book's Reviews > The Templeton Twins Have an Idea

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner

Sep 09, 12

Daisy (11) for Big Book Little Book
Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book really appealed to my sense of humour. After a (if I may say so) rubbish blurb and a slightly more informative front flap, I started reading. The illustrations and layout of the book are quirky and clever and the story was funny. The story starts off with the twins, Abigail and John being born. Twelve years on, their mother dies leaving them with their Dad who is a professor at a university. What I forgot to tell you was, when the twins were born the professor had just given one of his students an F. The student was very sad so he tried to talk him into giving him a C but of course the twins were being born so he left without giving the man what he wanted. Now all he wanted was revenge on the professor and the twins. So you think this story is going to be about the student’s quest for revenge but it turns out, however, that this is just a sideline. The story is more about Cassie the ridiculous dog, the one-man helicopter and the twin’s hobbies, as well as how the twins outsmarted the evil student. They cleverly foil kidnap, revenge and manage to persuade their Dad to get a dog along the way.

At the end of every chapter the narrator asks the reader some questions about the previous chapter which were by far the best bits in the story. They were generally so hilariously funny that I was sent straight into fits of giggles. My favourite part in the whole book was when the narrator asked the reader: “How do you think the twin’s lives would have been different if they had never been born?” This and other silly questions were my personal highlights of the book.

Verdict: This is an off the wall, slightly crazy, story of two normal twins… or so you think. I would recommend it to 8-14 year old girls and boys. I loved this book and I think I nearly wet myself laughing at one point in the story. It definitely has the LOL factor!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Templeton Twins Have an Idea.