Sande's Reviews > What Happened to Anna K.

What Happened to Anna K. by Irina Reyn

Sep 13, 12

Read in September, 2012

Read this along with Anna Karenina for an amazing read. I read Anna K. up to the last few chapter than went back to Tolstoy and read Karenina cover to cover -- heightening the experience of Irina Reyn's brilliant update to Brighton Beach and the Upper EastSide of Manhattan of Anna's story. One can see how Tolstoy is infused into Anna K. not taken scene for scene but informs and inbues Reyn's writing a modern version of these character types. AND the added plus of understanding the immigrant experience in NYC of young Russians coming as children and the growth of this population. If you are in NYC, go to Onegrin for dinner or lunch afterwards, the 1800's of Tolstoy in decor with the voices and people of current NYC Russian immigrants at the tables.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Anna K..

Elaine So glad you liked this! I can't believe you read all of Karenina again...from Dr. Seuss to Tolstoy, maybe those little twins are in pre-school now, eh?

Sande We drove in a rain storm to Cobleskill on Saturday to find Anna Karenina in a used bookstore called Catnap, 1000s of books, the copy I got was yellowed and $1. Gobbled it down in one evening. Thank you again for recommending Anna K.