Jacqueline's Reviews > Bait & Switch

Bait & Switch by Darlene Gardner

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: genre-romance-contemporary
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
Recommended for: Leah and Suzanne, most definitely!
Read from September 26 to 28, 2010, read count: Once

Very, very - very rarely does a contemporary romance ever enthrall me to the point that reading its story becomes not just entertaining, but addictive. Thankfully that's not a harden fast rule, for Bait & Switch really grabbed me from the first page. It took hold of my shirt and refused to let go!

The plot, for starters, was so unique. Perhaps not in such similar novels of its equivalent, what with two identical twins switching identities, but in comparison to most contemporary romances, it certainly was different. I had so much fun reading about not just Mitch but his twin brother Cary, too. I really loved that Gardner opted to tell a dual story of both Mitch and Cary, as well as their romantic interests.

Overall, this book contains some amazing themes, some of the most powerful of which were discovery of self and the confidence and strength it takes to become a better person. The characters that delivered these themes were superb! While I really liked Mitch's love Peyton, it was the sub-plotted character Lizabeth that I absolutely adored. Ironically, I felt as if Lizabeth contained more personality and life as a character than Peyton. Still, both women were well written and, most importantly, I truly cared about each gaining their own happily-ever-afters.

The heroes in the book were equally as compelling. It's interesting to note that, while initially Cary is painted as the seemingly 'bad guy' while Mitch appears to be the knight-in-shining-armor, Gardner did not leave either characters to their subsequent notations. Each man learns about not just their brother, but who they are and just what their particular faults might be. With Mitch, his revelations are much more understated, while Cary's are more obvious. With Cary, Gardner created a story, separate from the primary plot line, that gave him an opportunity to truly grow as an individual. This is excellent in my opinion, because when characters do not change and grow within a story, they become stagnant and dull.

The pace of the novel was relatively fine, up until the last quarter of the book. Sadly, what kept this book from attaining five-star status was, essentially, the final pacing of the story. Towards the end of the novel, it felt as if Gardner was extrapolating the story to unnecessary levels. Thankfully this issue didn't seem to last long, and the book did end very well. All knots felt untied, and all plot points felt completed.

Overall, I liked the writing, and I loved the characters to one degree or another. Yet, most importantly, the story kept me smiling and interested. While at a few moments the book felt drawn out, I was never bored with the people within Bait & Switch. I am so elated that, after having taken an extended hiatus from contemporary romance, my first foray back into the genre was an amazing success!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bait & Switch.

09/26/2010 page 8
2.0% "LOVING IT! First contemporary romance in over two years, easy, and I'm in love with this story - so far!"
09/27/2010 page 258
70.0% "What a great book!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review Akra, I will have to pick it up : )

Jacqueline *Hugs you!* Aw, THANK you Suzanne! :)

It's so great that my reviews are actually being useful now! Not that long ago, no one hardly "liked" them, nor noted that they were helpful. I'm SO glad that you found this one helpful! I hope you like the book when you can get to it...and don't forget to let me know what you think about it :).

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah Akra, this book sounds awesome, I'll definitely have to read it! Great review, too! I'm glad your first foray back into contemporary romance went well! :D

Jacqueline Awww! Thank you Leah!!! *Hugs*

(*Repeats everything I said to Suzanne about my reviews being helpful/liked! :) ) LOL

*Squeals excitedly* Yay! I'm glad that it sounds like something you'd like. I really enjoyed it, and I think you will to :).

Jacqueline PS: I'm SO glad, too! I really hope that I can at least start to enjoy contemporary romance. Mainly because, my worst fear is that I'll grow bored with my books, and by constantly changing up the authors and genres I read, that will (hopefully) never happen :).

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I don't read too much contemporary either, you should try out Gena Showalters contemp they are quite funny, or Susan Elizabeth Phillips, she is really funny I lover her Chicago Stars books, lol I sense another rec coming on!

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah Suzanne! I am going to have to send you some of my contemporary romance recs! There is some great stuff out there. Well, I think it's great, LOL.

Akra, I totally second the Gena Showalter contemps. She's hilarious! :D

Jacqueline Oh, cool! Showalter writes contemporary, too? Wow! Though, to be honest, I'll probably want to get through her paranormal first. But! If I like it as much as I'm hoping I will, I'll continue on with her contemp. series, too!

Jacqueline PS: I don't think I've heard of Phillips before, Suzanne. As such, bring on the recommendations! *Waits excitedly to check them out!*

message 10: by Leah (new)

Leah Gena Showalter writes a lot of stuff: paranormal, contemporary, young adult. I love her YA series. I need to get the second book, though... ;)

Suzanne, I welcome Susan Elizabeth Phillips recs too since I've never heard of her!

Jacqueline Huh...well what do you know. Learn something new every day apparently. She must be talented, then, to be able to carry multiple series/genres. Go Showalter! :)

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah I think so. I haven't found a book yet that I haven't liked by her. That's just my opinion of course, though.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I have found books of hers that I prefer over others, but I don't think I have ever gone below 3 stars for her, especially on her LOTU series. Have you read her Alien Huntress series?

I will send you the rec now Leah!

message 14: by Leah (new)

Leah Yeah, I've read all the Alien Huntress books, love them, and can't wait for the next one to come out in October! The ones ones of hers I haven't read are her early books (The Stone Prince and the other one that goes with this book, her YA Alien Huntress novels, and the Mysteria Lane or whatever anthologies that she wrote in).

Thanks, Suzanne! :D

Jacqueline *Does celebratory dance in the middle of the thread!*

LOL

My copy of The Darkest Night came in the mail today!

Whoot, whoot! :)

message 16: by Leah (new)

Leah *jumps up and down on the couch*

Whooooo hooooo! Yay, I can't wait for you to read it! :D

Jacqueline LMAO

Me, either! :)

message 18: by Leah (new)

Leah Oh man, I am really excited that you are going to read The Darkest Night, LOL. I hope you love it. Also, don't be discouraged if you don't love it, please, because while I love it, many people have said that it's not their favorite of the series but that they believe that it gets better and better as the series goes on (which is true, it does get better! :).

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I just finished reading the Stone Prince and have Pleasure Slave waiting to be read. I really liked Stone Prince, I preferred it to her Catch a Mate book, but I love a it of paranormal and magic stuff in with my romance, so that might be why!

I really want to read them, Awaken me Darkly is def going on my Christman list!

*cheers and does celebatory dance* READ IT STRAIGHT AWAY AKRA!!!!!! Lol, and you will like it! lol Just kidding : ) I don't think that the first one is as good as the others but it isn't a bad book either, but if you think i is a bit "meh" then I think you should give the second book a go as it really is better.

message 20: by Leah (new)

Leah I still have to read those two! Ahhh, I've been looking for them ever since I started reading Gena Showalter and now they've been reissued so I have to buy them.

They are very good. My favorite one is the fourth one and then the second one. I can't wait for the sixth one to come out this month! Eek!

That's what I mean, Akra, what Suzanne said. It's a fantasmic start to the series, but I like the second one even better. My favorite ones are books four, five, and six. Such a great series :D

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol I just realized I wrote my "Christman list"! I have no excuse as the 's' is no where near the 'n' on the keyboard,, clearly my mind was somewhere else!

Well the Stone Prince is good! I will let you know about Pleasure Slave as I am reading it this month for a challange. Am I the only one here who is addicted to reading challenges?

Okay i really really really want that series!

I stole the fantasmic word today! I wrote it in my friends wedding card, sometign like "Have a fantasmic honeymoon" LOL I was going to put orgasmic, but I thought I better not! It was a cool card though, two rubber ducks kissing with a red glittery heart over them, I should have got them a His and Hers rubber duck set to go withit, but I didn't think of that until I saw the card which I bought about an hour before the wedding!

message 22: by Leah (new)

Leah LOL! I didn't even notice until you just pointed it out, Suzanne.

Okay, cool! Let me know. No, honey, you are not the only one. I am completely addicted to them and have to physically limit myself to two or three. My first few months on here I was doing like five a month and it got out of control, LOL.

LOL! Good job, Suzanne! I probably would have written, "Have a fantasmic, orgasmic honeymoon!" if it were me. That card sounds adorable and the rubber ducks would have been so cute, LOL

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Okay I am currently doing 21 challenges! Not all of them as monthly! But OMG I actually have to have a spread sheet so I can keep track of them! How sad is that, I soooooooooo need to to get a life!

LOL I should have written that, but I wimped out! I am quite jealous of them though, they are going to Las Vegas and then on to New York for their honeymoon
lucky people! I can barely afford the bus to work!

message 24: by Leah (new)

Leah Suzanne! OMG that's way to many challenges! You really do need a life. You have less of a life than I do! How sad, LOL

LOL, wimpy! That's awesome. I want to go to Las Vegas and New York :(

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I know! A few are yearly challenges so I just update with books I read in the monthly challenges and a few are quarteley...okay why am I justifying this, yes I am THAT sad *sighs* you're right Leah I DO need a life lol

Me too, it woud be so fun, but I am so skint at the moment that I can't even afford to start saving, *sighs* I can't even afford to buy books!

message 26: by Leah (new)

Leah LOL, you poor thing. Maybe you really do need to come to Las Vegas with the pretense of babysitting and hit the clubs or casinos or something, LOL

Me either! I am HORRIBLE with money so it's a miracle I can afford as many books as I can, LOL

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I do I do need to come to Las Vegas, maybe if I work hard enough in the casinos I may even solve my second problem, having no money! See, two birds and one very glittery and exciting stone! : )

Jacqueline *Waves* I'm back! Woot woot! LOL Sorry for disappearing, y'all, for I've missed out on another awesome conversation! Thank God we have our own group now, where all of our conversations can head to one place, LOL.

Thanks for the heads up Leah/Suzanne! It does help to know that others might not find The Darkest Night to be strictly up to par with some of the better books in the series. That helps me because it keeps me from having one set idea of how the book should be.

message 29: by Leah (new)

Leah Very true, Suzanne! Way to look on the bright side! ;P

We missed you, Akra! But, you're right, it's a good thing we have our group now! LOL. No problem with TDN. We just wanted to let you know so that you didn't go into it expecting it to be the best ever, LOL

Jacqueline Thank God! I tend to be WAY too critical when my expectations plummet, and I really don't want to find myself being the odd-man-out by turning out not to read/like this series, LOL.

Aww, thanks Leah! I missed you guys, too!

message 31: by Leah (new)

Leah LOL. It would be okay if you didn't like the series, though. It's not like we're going to shun you if you don't like it.

Jacqueline LMAO True! And if I don't like it, I'll say so since it's just who I am...but I hope I do enjoy it! As I've noted before, I definitely want to find more book series that I can glom over, rather than just my two favorites of Ward and Sherri's! :) Still, I am a picky bitch *laughs* - so you never can tell with me, LOL.

message 33: by Leah (new)

Leah LOL, this is true. Well, if you don't like it, there are plenty more series we can recommend to you, I'm sure!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yeah, don't worry if you don't like LOTU, like Leah said there are plenty where that came from LOL I persoanlly do not like the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian, but I know others do.

Although if you don't like the Night Huntress series or Immortals after Dark we may have to shun you, LOL only kidding, we will just think you are crazy : )

message 35: by Leah (new)

Leah I've never read that series, Suzanne, but I've heard that it was good. Why didn't you like it?

Oh yes, not liking IAD = shunning. LOL, just kidding. Like Suzanne said, we'll just think you're crazy ;P

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I dunno, it was a bit like BDB only not as good and I didn't connect with the romances, it all seemed really rushed, they would literally meet 3 or 4 times and then WHAM they were in love, but for me there was no chemistry between the characters and the characters themselves were a bit flat. And with BDB you feel the friendship between the brothers, but i felt with her group of warriors it said the were all great friends, but it never really showed it.

Although I know in a lot of PNR books people hook up quickly but in these books I just couldn't see it.

message 37: by Leah (new)

Leah Huh. Maybe I'll have to get the books from the library instead of buying them so I can see how I like them.

I know what you mean. Some hook ups are quick and believable but some aren't.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I would, I bought them as the library had them as people said they were good, but I just didn't agree. But some people seem to really like them, I did give the series two books to try and change my mind, but it never happened and I would probably read the third one as apparently it gets better but I a not prepared to buy it when I would rather buy other things.

Yeah, definately these books although they weren't BAD BAD like Twilight, they weren't good either, just kind of the bad side of Meh for me

message 39: by Leah (new)

Leah I know what you mean. And if it takes three books to get the series going, is it really worth it?

Gotcha!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) That's what I thought, there are much better books I would rather be reading and spending my money on. Like Demonica, I really really want to start readin that series!

message 41: by Leah (new)

Leah I haven't read that series either! A bunch of people have told me to read it but I can never find the first book anywhere.

Jacqueline Oh, I'm in definite agreement with Suzanne, Leah! I've read a total of one book from the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian and HATED it! It was the first book in the series, Kiss of Midnight, and it sucked! You can read my review for the book if you want ( http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/70... ) for it doesn't contain any plot spoilers.

Jacqueline LOL And that's okay, guys! I don't mind being seen as crazy, just so long as there's no shunning involved for potentially not liking the books, LMAO! :)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) 'Course not Akra : )

I am glad I am the only one who didn't like it, it was just so flat! Did you find that?

message 45: by Leah (new)

Leah I will definitely read your review, Akra. Maybe I won't even read the books if they are so bad, then.

Of course we wouldn't shun you, hon :)

Jacqueline *Group hug* LOL :) Thanks guys!

Oh, no definitely! You weren't the only one who hated it at all - I'm in total agreement. I absolutely found it flat and dull, and it was one of a few reasons why I tossed the book aside, ASAP.

Yeah, Leah, our tastes are pretty similar and I'm fairly sure you won't like that series at all.

message 47: by Leah (new)

Leah *Hugs!* Welcome, chica! :)

That sounds horrifying. OMG, I don't think I'm reading this series.

Okay, thanks, for telling me. If it was just Suzanne, I probably would have borrowed it from the library but having more than one person not like it...

Jacqueline No problem, Leah! Glad we could help :).

message 49: by Leah (new)

Leah You really did, Akra. You really, really did, LOL