Jacqueline's Reviews > The Seduction

The Seduction by Nicole Jordan

Mar 30, 10

bookshelves: genre-romance-historical
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
Recommended for: romance readers that enjoy a lot of sensuality within their books.
Read from January 29 to February 02, 2010, read count: Once

(Rake Hero/Widowed Lady Turned Mistress Heroine)

First impressions are so important, and as such, were very interesting to the characters within this book. Both Damien and Vanessa share a common quirk- loyalty, family loyalty. While Damien is a charming rake, his boldness is only outshone by his love for his sister, Olivia, who was paralyzed by an accident that lay on Vanessa's brother Audrey's head. No doubt Vanessa is a woman to admire, coming to aid her mother and younger two sisters in rescuing them from loosing their family home which Audrey had gambled away- to Damien. While Vanessa may be willing to do anything to save her family, Damien is just as willing to do anything to ruin it. Both character's stubbornness is answered by breaking the impasse by the shocking proposal set by Damien for Vanessa to act as his mistress, thereby ruining Audrey's family and allowing them to keep their home.

Overall, the plot was fairly simple, centering around the actions of Audrey and Olivia. Despite how simple the story seemed, the basis of it's makeup lay at the emotional interplay between the two characters, focusing on the fact that Damien fought tooth and nail against the idea of falling in love with Vanessa.

Truly, I have nothing bad to say about this book. The pacing was very good, and I mostly admire how Jordan never once had "needless" scenes- every action within the story went towards progressing the plot. I also adored how the author constructed the hero. Unlike many other romances in which the hero in labeled a rake and often they truly don't act as such, with this story, Damien was a rake without question. His actions, both past and present, were very self-involved.

Often times, his disregard for Vanessa, after the start of their physical relationship, was absolutely retched. And yet, the heroine was written fabulously. Vanessa's character was absolutely one of my favorites from Jordan- despite being selfless and caring for her family, she endured whatever she had to from Damien in order to survive. She was not weak by any means, yet she did not sulk in her situation.

I also was very impressed with the idea that Jordan wrote the story in such a way that it was believable. Vanessa having been a widow, I could legitimately see her becoming a mistress to save her family. Along these same lines, I admired the fact that Damien did not rush headlong into the sexual aspects of his relationship with Vanessa at the beginning. I feel that if Damien had disregarded Vanessa's fear and uncertainty- rather than waiting for her to become accustom to the idea of her new role- I would've probably not enjoyed this character at all!

However, despite all my admoration for this novel, I can't quite bring myself to note it at a five star, simply because towards the end I really felt Jordan drug the story on a bit longer than necessary, especially the last several pages of the final chapter and epilogue. Still, not a waste of time at all! Another good read, no doubt!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seduction.

01/29/2010 page 0
0.0% "This book has some promise- let's hope it's better than my previous choice."
01/30/2010 page 104
27.08% "Oh, wow! Interesting plot, very dynamic character interaction!"
02/01/2010 page 333
86.72% "The character dynamic, the plot, the drama- all tying together for an awesome story."