Trunatrschild's Reviews > In Darkness and Secrecy: The Anthropology of Assault Sorcery and Witchcraft in Amazonia

In Darkness and Secrecy by Neil L. Whitehead

This book is absolutely not written for the casual reader. I had to put it down for awhile, extremely DRY. More like a textbook for the person who is maybe a phd in Amazonian Anthropology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Darkness and Secrecy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) Even textbooks can have some wit behind the wisdom. I dont learn well from boring.

Trunatrschild It's just so dry. It's interesting, in it's way, but in it's efforts to report with neutrality, it's almost inhuman. It's hard to explain because it's great information on what I've read so far, on what the shaman's do, the different types and some of their training by tribal area, but jeez.

message 3: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) but give it a a little life. information can be good and still be fun to read.

Trunatrschild yes... I think so. Maybe I didn't give it enough chance, I could have just been fed up with the tomes. But I can't imagine anyone enjoying it unless it was their chosen career.

Trunatrschild But I should say that it does give a change from the usual look at shamanism... they're not all love and light and this book illustrates that very well.

message 6: by Joan (Mooncat) (new)

Joan (Mooncat) that is good, i always did believe in telling it like it is