Amy Snyder's Reviews > The Eleventh Plague

F 50x66
Sep 09, 2012

it was ok
Read in September, 2012

I read this book because my son asked me to. He had loved it, so I was looking forward to reading it. The premise seemed like a good one - much of the world had been killed off by a plague and a teenage boy and his father were roaming around trying to survive. But I was disappointed. The writing was just not good, the characters were undeveloped, and the plot was not convincing. I wanted to like the main character, Stephen, but I just couldn't. I felt bad for him that his mom died (in childbirth), his Marine Corps grandfather passes away and they have to bury him, and eventually his father dies trying to stand up for his beliefs. But Stephen was just too lucky and it was not believable. he is not killed by Slavers, nor by the weather or the new community he finds in Settlers Landing. Nor is he killed by a barn fire or during a rather large battle. The one character I really did like was Jenny - she was adopted by a family but because she was Asian, she just never felt like she fit in. I was disappointed at the end when Jenny left and Stephen stayed behind - I never really got the feeling that family was so important to him, but he chose it over Jenny. The one thing that did reasonate with me and that I appreciated from the author was the importance of books. On more than one occaision the author had the teacher talk to Stephen about the importance of reading, and Stephen risks his life to save some of the books in the school - although extremely unrealistic, the point was made, and it was a good one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eleventh Plague.