Chuckell's Reviews > The Sword of Shannara

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks

Aug 11, 2012

Read in August, 2012

I probably first read this book in seventh grade--1980, say. Wow--this is the first time I've typed "19something" and had the weird feeling that it was a year deep in mists of history. Like, 1980 looks almost as old-timey as 1890 to me for some reason. Anyway.

I would have to say that this book has stood the test of time: I'm reading the same first-printing trade paperback with the 4/C gatefold illustration bound in the middle that I read when I was back in junior high, and the pages might be a little yellowed, and the phototypesetting with the occasional tilted line looks a little quaint, but obviously the book is the same--the words haven't moved around any in all the years this volume has held pride of place in my shelf of treasured books.

Right. The book has stood the test of time. I, on the other hand, have not--whatever ability my 12-year-old self had to find charm and adventure in this story has clearly been lost. 'Cause this thing SUCKS!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sword of Shannara.