Phil Scovis's Reviews > Deception Point

Deception Point by Dan Brown

Nov 20, 2012

it was ok

It may seem like a cheap shot, but this is not Angels & Demons. It seems as though Dan Brown attempted to repeat the A&D formula, almost item-by-item, leaving us a now familiar and uncreative thriller.

The political intrigue has been transplanted from the Vatican to the White House. The hapless civilian is female this time, and like Robert Langdon, she has some old phobias which she will predictably face. The elite killer is now a Delta Force team. Everybody travels in the most unnecessarily exotic modes of transportation. The entire narrative is sprinkled liberally with technological artifacts meant to impress, but which ring faintly of speculations in old Popular Mechanics articles. An apparent attempt to add suspenseful pacing to the story takes the form of several tedious chapters ending with "I can't tell you, you have to see it", or some such.

The premise is outrageously incredible. Even knowing what little I do of scientific methodology, I was forced to suspend my disbelief that the proposed conspiracy could work for one moment against modern scientific scrutiny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception Point.