Tiffany's Reviews > How Many Jelly Beans?

How Many Jelly Beans? by Andrea Menotti

F_50x66
Sep 09, 12

bookshelves: school-books

Genre: PB12

This book is very easy to follow along with and easy to read, but very little plot to it. I still liked the story because even without a plot the real story it tells is more important. This book helps children began to become interested in math in a fun and engaging way. IT is hard to always find books that teach math concepts, but still make it a fun read and this book was perfect for showing math. I love that it starts with Emma wanting 10 jelly beans and Aiden wanting 20, the rest of the book they just want to up each other on how many, but in clever ways. I loved the section on how many jelly beans you would eat in a year. They showed the calender for a year as well as how many jelly beans you would have to eat each day for the year. I like that it showed many ways to break down a number into the size of a building, your hand, a bed and other fun objects to make counting more fun. I would use this book with young children and show them different ways to count jelly beans or other objects. This would be a great starting point for learning to count and if you could use real jelly beans in class it would be a big hit! I love the end of the story with a fold out of 1 million jelly beans that are more dots than beans, but it showed readers what that many jelly beans would look like. It is a great story for use in a math class or for teaching math concepts, just not a lot of plot to go with it.

Three words to describe this book: engaging, mathematical, bright

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Many Jelly Beans?.