Julie's Reviews > The Blue Cotton Gown: A Midwife's Memoir

The Blue Cotton Gown by Patricia Harman

Feb 01, 09

Read in December, 2008

Watch this great tv interview with Patsy Harman, the author: http://www.wdbj7.com/global/story.asp...

Whether you’ve been in the care of a Midwife or not (I haven’t), this is a book that just begs to be read. The rich stories of the women! First time author Patricia Harman weaves her own life’s triumphs and struggles into this memoir in a special way that meshes with those of her patients. There are the young girls who find themselves pregnant, over-worked women with a whole lot of children and more on the way, affluent middle-aged moms worrying about their daughters and a woman who wants the author and her husband to help her become a man. It’s also an unflinching insider’s view of the struggles of doctors and their teams as they face rising insurance premiums and other very real issues that hamper those in the medical field who strive to do right by their patients.

At times I laughed out loud, at times I had tears in my eyes. This memoir kept me engaged. Oh to be a patient at that clinic, in the able care of Patsy and her husband, Dr. Tom. I didn’t want the book to end, always the sign of a great read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Cotton Gown.