Kerry's Reviews > Garment of Shadows

Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King

Sep 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery

I am a die-hard Laurie R King fan and have been since I read her first book not long after it was published. I can't think of another author who has written as many different kinds of protagonists and set stories in as many different kinds of settings as she has, or who has crossed genre lines as successfully. Her sense of place is always a joy to experience, her research impeccable, and her prose extraordinary. While those elements are present in this latest installment of her Mary Russell series, I found the book disappointing after a long string of truly outstanding offerings. As another reviewer noted, we got a lot of telling in this book and relatively little showing, which was unfortunate given the unique opportunities presented by Russell's amnesia at the beginning of the book. I also found that the emphasis on political intrigue required a lot of exposition that kept me from becoming as emotionally involved with the characters as I normally do. It also seemed to overshadow any of the more interesting personal and interpersonal conflicts, resolution, and growth that, to me, make a series worth following. It's still a good read - just not the same caliber as her other recent work. I don't regret buying or reading it, and will undoubtedly revisit it, though!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garment of Shadows.