Nardsbaby Reader's Reviews > A Girl Like Me

Oct 13, 2009

bookshelves: teens
Recommended for: Teens

Lose Yourself

Unlike most teens that Elite knows, she's the mom in her family, while her mom is busy being a crack-addict. Elite doesn't really mind taking care of her siblings and being so responsible, however, she does wish just once she could be a normal teen.

With a voice like an angel and a plan to win tickets on Hot 102 so she can be front and center with Haneef, her major crush, Elite is too embarrassed when her mom breaks her down on the air. Luckily, her girl Naja hooks the station up with the info and for one night Elite is the hood version of Cinderella.

Being pulled up on stage to perform a duo with Haneef slings Elite's life into a whole different world. People she's never talked to are all of a sudden her closest friends. She's lying, stealing and manipulating things to keep her real life from being exposed. Can Elite learn to deal with the truth about who and what she is? Or will she be defeated by rumors?

A GIRL LIKE ME is the third book I've read by Ni-Ni Simone. A little reluctant at first, I found myself easily engaged in the story. Not only that, there was a real story, issues and hopes. I love that Ni-Ni has put her on unique spin on a classic. There were some editing issues; otherwise, this is definitely a book I'd recommend to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Like Me.