Jessica's Reviews > Smashed

5200182
Sep 13, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from September 09 to 10, 2012

this book had potential, but it dragged on FOREVER before it got interesting. I swear, it was only the last 1/3 of the book that was finally able to hold my attention. i'm surprised i made it through the entire thing; in fact, i think it's only my desire to read 100 books this year that did get me through it.

here's the thing. the main character, katie, is a teenage alcoholic. to call her a drunk would be too nice. yeah, she's got some issues that we could say are her reasons for being an alcoholic, but they don't get resolved at the end of the book (which is okay) nor do they even get addressed! i think that's what bugged me - they didn't even get addressed.

for the most part, katie manages to keep her alcoholic self pretty separate from her captain of a sports team at school self, which is completely reasonable. i remember getting no sleep and drinking way too much in high school but still being "fine".

i guess it was just too slow. katie makes herself so incredibly isolated, even before the 2nd big event in the book, so it's a bit ... one sided? i don't know. there just wasn't much of a dynamic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smashed.