Laura Thomas's Reviews > Under the Desert Moon

Under the Desert Moon by Emma Meade

Sep 23, 12

Read in September, 2012

Nothing ever happens in Copperfield, Arizona, a rundown desert mining town. The miners left long ago.

That’s why Erin wishes she were anywhere but here. At least her job at The Oracle, the town cinema, gets her out of the house and she gets to see the movies for free.

One night changes everything, shaking up Erin’s world. Nick, her twin brother, bursts into her bedroom to tell her something exciting. A movie crew is in town to film a horror film. This gets Erin’s blood pumping. She hopes for a good ghost story.

Erin and Nick rush down to the local diner to get a look-see at the cast and crew. Her gaze is drawn to a young man sitting in the back. He has a certain something that calls to her. She thinks he looks familiar but can’t recall from where.

His name is James Linkin(I like the name) and he plays the lead in the movie, a vampire. Even better than a ghost story, Erin thinks.

Erin doesn’t realize she is staring at James, until their eyes meet. He holds her gaze and she feels shaky and aroused. Where did that come from? And his eyes, she’d never seen eyes like his before. As an aspiring photographer, she’d love to get a picture of them and add it to her portfolio.

It’s inevitable that Erin and James would meet. She hires on to the production as a roaming photographer, taking pictures of the film from behind the scenes, kind of a diary of the making of it. What surprises both of them is the strong magnetism that pulls them towards each other. But Erin senses the bad boy in James. She is perceptive and knows James is hiding something.

That feeling of familiarity she had the first time she saw James was real. She knows where she remembers him from, a rerun of an old sitcom she used to watch with her mom when she was a kid. He had a different name then, but it was him, she was sure of it! But how could that be?

Can you see what’s coming? Even if you’ve guessed that James is a vampire, that is only the beginning of the story!

I had a lot of fun reading Under the Desert Moon.

James was bored and decided to try to make a comeback in the movie business, as someone else of course. He shouldn’t have chosen a small town to do it. There is anonymity in a large town. It’s not long before people start to figure out what he is. He couldn’t resist temptation and was discovered many times in the act of drinking someones blood. His ability to erase memories was iffy, and sometimes it didn’t work at all. This lead to some amusing scenes that I really had fun with! He isn’t very good at hiding what he is. Perhaps he stays in character too much, and that’s why he lands in so much trouble.

Erin now knows what he is but is conflicted in her feelings for him, he drinks blood after all! And how could she know if he erased her memories? How do you trust a vampire? And more importantly, how do you love one?

I kept getting this feeling that the story had a dark, noir feel to it. Then I realized why. I once watched this movie called Shadow of the Vampire. It too was about a vampire playing the role of a vampire in a movie. Although the vampire in this movie wasn’t young and handsome, it’s what was nagging me while I read Under the Desert Moon. I just kept picturing the story in black and white. It added a chill to the story.

The story is engaging from the beginning and there are several characters that are important. Their parts in the story helped me to connect with them. Some are funny, some are hopeless, and some I would like to kick to the curb, you know the ones, they like to make themselves look better by belittling you. This made it more real for me.

Under the Desert Moon is a really good story. It’s not only about vampires. I enjoyed Emma’s writing style and I’ll be watching for more of her books.

Emma's writing style and how she made her vampire vulnerable, almost human, is how she got this rating. And her great story, of course:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Desert Moon.