Mustafa's Reviews > The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language

The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker

Jul 11, 14

bookshelves: nonfiction, science, philosophy
Read in September, 2012

As you are reading this review, you are experiencing one of nature's most fascinating things: language. (It's a sort of semi-parody of the first sentence of the book).

Let me tell you this. When a bunch of reviews say that a book is funny, it turns out I never laugh. I did not laugh reading Don Quixote, Catch-22, or even Mark Twain's stuff. So, you can say I am a humorless jerk. And, it just so happens that the first book I actually laugh out loud at is a book about linguistics, of all things.

And, just because a book is a popular science book does not mean you're going to find some 14-year old reading this book. Yet, somehow, I'm 14, I somewhat like science, and I read (and really loved) this book.

I must admit that language is definitely something we're all fascinated by, yet we can never get satisfactory answers for our questions about language. After all, this is science we're talking about, and science can never really end because the things nature has dreamed up of are so complex, yet so purposeful.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language Instinct.