Zak Kizer's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore

M_50x66
Sep 09, 12

Read in July, 2012

Im just gonna get this out of the way the film version of the comic is HORRENDOUS!!! Now that that is out of the way let's discuss the book. This graphic novel is set in 1898, where the British Empire assembles great literary characters to help defend it. These are Mina Murray from Dracula, Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Allan Quatermain from King Solomon's Mines, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and the Invisible Man. Just so you know this comic acts as a sequel to each character's books, much like the Avenger's movie. So if you want to know the origins of these characters read the books. However, the book doesn't rely too heavily on references, it focuses much more on the character's interaction and telling the story, so if you have not read the source novels you'll never be too lost. One thing I like about this book is despite the title the head of the League is actually Mina Murray. I like this because it provides some funny moments with Quatermain and Nemo, as those two are not used to following anyone's orders, much less a woman's. One gripe I've heard people have with this book is that it is sexist and racist, particularly towards Asians. I must see I thought that at first but I think the author were trying to mirror the adventure serials of the turn of the century, which had similar biases. I'm not saying it can't be considered offensive, but just try to remember the tone of the novel. Overall, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is... well extraordinary!! So do yourself a favor check it out and avoid the movie at all costs...unless you are having a bad movie night or something then it is PERFECT!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1.