Kathy's Reviews > Gods and Kings

Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin

Dec 28, 2008

Read in January, 2009

Gods and Kings is the first book in the biblical fiction series Chronicles of the King written by Lynn Austin. The novel begins in the early years of Judah's King Ahaz (2 Chronicles 28:1 "Ahaz was twenty years old when he became king… unlike David his father, he did not do what was right in the eyes of the Lord.”) and ends with the coronation of King Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29:1-3 "Hezekiah was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother’s name was Abijah daughter of Zechariah. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, just as his father David had done. In the first month of the first year of his reign, he opened the doors of the Temple of the Lord and repaired them.”).

Biblically accurate characters include King Ahaz, his wife Abijah, her father the priest Zechariah, the high priest Uriah, prince Hezekiah. Minor appearances are also made by Hezekiah's wife Hephzibah, and the prophets Micah and Isaiah. Shebna, Hezekiah's Egyptian teacher, along with many other miscellaneous characters, are fictional.

I appreciated Austin’s take on how godly belief lines were preserved in ancient Israel. In contrast, the compromising of character across time as seen in Uriah (the high priest), was well developed and believable.

As with most fictional accounts of history, I enjoyed being immersed in a different time and place. Through Austin’s pen I experienced idol worship ceremonies, the meeting of kings, the captured city of Damascus, the conferring of prophets, and much more.
God was and is capable of working in the life of individuals and nations.

I’m ready for Book 2, Song of Redemption.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods and Kings.