RYCJ's Reviews > An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison

Sep 15, 12

bookshelves: dynamic-reads
Read in September, 2012

Kay’s story itself was quite enamoring, and the writing entertaining, alongside the science(s) presented to explain her mood disorder, and mood disorders in general, which I found to be a tantalizing inspection. Perception can be a mean beast.

From a lay perspective, I couldn’t help from feeling deeply saddened that many who suffer from psychosis will not, and possibly cannot, receive the level of support Kay has received. There’s no telling, and again from a lay perspective after both reading An Unquiet Mind and by personal familiarity, about the size of population possibly affected by blackened squares in their system. My mind couldn’t begin to wrap around the amount resources that would be involved to provide this level of support—keeping people employed and covering debts and damages caused due to this disruptive interference; saying nothing of the resources required to sort through diagnosing to determine who gets this support. For many, as once remarked to me, it comes down to, "either sink or swim.”

This is what made reading An Unquiet Mind hard; despite the incredibleness of what I took from reading about the research, and the support Kay does advocate to understanding mental illness.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unquiet Mind.