Lorena's Reviews > The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness

The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop

Dec 01, 07

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2007

Another one probably best read as a teenager (although there is some pretty dark sexual stuff in here). The lower rating is mostly because the writing isn't terribly good (and the characters' names made me roll my eyes every time I read them...which was a lot). There's a lot of buzz around the supposed reversal in traditional gender roles in this book, but it comes off more like an exercise from a "Women's Studies 101" course at a community college. That is to say, there's not a lot of thought or rationale put into how or why the society would be structured like that, and it doesn't really seem like there are any practical ramifications in the society as a result, other than the fact that Queens are the highest ranking people, and we're told that OFTEN, but there's not really a lot of exploration of that concept. It's as if stating that this is the societal structure is supposed to be radical enough in and of itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Jewels Trilogy.