Ken Moten's Reviews > Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead: the film

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead by Tom Stoppard

Sep 09, 2012

bookshelves: shakespeare-stuff, plays
Recommended for: people who read Hamlet, Shakespeare fans, people who go to plays in general(?)

It's Sunday and i have things to do so I am gonna procrastinate on those chores and review this play which I have procrastinated on reviewing.

This play is a not so much behind the scenes look into the world of The Prince of Denmark but a beside the scenes look. The two main characters (of this play) are not simply faceless generic plot devices but are our guide and almost Greek chorus into this world that we (presumably are familiar with and) are in. The examination of the world and how it works when the action is not involving them is very clever and the way that Stoppard so easily ties the action of Hamlet into the mix makes the play seem that much more natural. It also I think may have had an influence on a certain 1994 for gangster film which goes into the underworld of crime through the eyes of two low level hired hit-men. So if you have read Hamlet I suggest checking this out to get another perspective on how the World of Hamlet (and by extension plays in general) are seen by the supporting cast that is subjected to its whims.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead.

message 1: by Sjors (new)

Sjors Jansen Shakespearian Pulp Fiction - nice parallel