Ana's Reviews > A Casa dos Espíritos

A Casa dos Espíritos by Isabel Allende

May 01, 2010

bookshelves: own-before-2009, 1001-books, c-sabado, fiction, read-in-2010, historical, author-other
Read from April 12 to 30, 2010

Pontuação: 7/10
Podem ler a opinião completa AQUI.

This book is without a doubt a classic, it portraits with beauty, not only the story of a man, a family and many generations, but also the story of a nation and its people.
But the reason it didn't totally work for me, and why I didn't give it a higher ranking, is because even though Clara is supposed to be one of the two main characters, I believe she's underdeveloped, so I feel let down somehow.

Despite this, the characters are very well brought out and we manage to know them well, but I actually failed to "love" any of them, for they all seemed to do things beyond reason. Not that this is bad, really!

In the end, I liked it, recommend it, but still felt like something was amiss, despite Isabel Allende's beautiful writing and a magnificent story.
It's still a wonderful story, worth reading, thus the 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Casa dos Espíritos.

04/12/2010 page 34
10.0% "Estou a gostar, mas ainda não entranhou."
04/19/2010 page 60
17.65% "Esteban makes me want to puke. And what's with the footnotes that just don't appear anywhere?"
04/28/2010 page 203
59.71% "I like how the story is told, telling us a bit about everyone, but sometimes it seems the "others" get more attention than the family." 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…