Jon's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Jan 09, 09

bookshelves: winter-challenge
Read in January, 2009

I wavered between a 2 and a 3 on this one, finally deciding that its novelty value and moments of being endearing earnt it an extra point. After all the hype and popularity though I was quite dissapointed. Some of the subject matter dealing with the occupation of Guernsey during the war was quite interesting, and it was a very easy read. Ultimately though, very lightweight and not in a good way. On the whole it felt like a bit of an odd cross between the vicar of Dibley (UK TV sit com) and Bridget Jones diary (which I loved so no problem with lightweight books if they strike the right chord and make me laugh). I felt it had quite condescendingly qaint village idiot type characterisation of the islanders - I wonder if any Channel Islanders have read it. Im sure they don't all talk like Mary Ann Shaffer would have them talk though. I didnt really care that much about any of them, but there was enough mild amusment and smattering of history to keep me ploughing on. Mystified by the bestseller status though.

Best thing for me was the copy of the book I had was a gorgeous little hard cover with matt brown paper style dust cover and a red ribbon place finder so was a joy to pick up!