Shelly 's Reviews > Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Dec 28, 08

bookshelves: listened-to-on-ipod
Read in December, 2008

I was disappointed w/ this book. I downloaded it off itunes months ago to have something to listen to on my computer at my super dull job. I was never able to get into it. I finally listened to it on the way to Dallas for Christmas. I guess I was expecting a little more. No troublesome childhood, no illicit drug use, no nasty divorce, no celebrity gossip. Just "First I had this job, then this job. Then I came up with this bit, that led to this bit." Martin's story strengthened my belief that success is not about talent, but drive. It reminded me of when I was 19 and hostessing at this Italian restaurant. One of the waiters invited me to come see his "comedy" one night. I didn't want to go, b/c I knew the guy and he wasn't funny, but me and a few other co-workers who couldn't say no went and were surprised to find he wasn't half-bad. The busineess of comedy is not funny. I know now that I'm not interested in hearing about those first shows w/ small crowds, those late nights, that first call-back. Just stick to the jokes, please.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Standing Up.