Amanda's Reviews > Taking Chances

Sep 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read from September 08 to 09, 2012

Well, that was a happily ending train wreck you just couldn't look away from.

First, this book reminded me so much of Jamie McGuire's Beautiful Disaster. They weren't the same book and there were certainly differences, but some themes were very similar.

The rest of it, I'm not even really sure what to say about it. Did I like it? Yes. Did it piss me off? Yes. Is this a book that will stay with me for awhile? Very much so.

The characters were complex. I also found that some of the reactions the characters have to various situations, especially what goes down with Chase, to be very unrealistic (how his family reacts and the timing just don't flow well for me). It just seemed way to quick and not at all how a family in that situation would react to what happened.

This book has a love-triangle and at times it drove me nuts. However, it is the key to the entire story and if you thought Bella was crazy with the whole Jacob/Edward triangle, this magnifies that by about a million.

The other thing I noticed is the writing of the author. I felt that sometimes we were told the story in past tense, in others present tense and then in others it was written as though it was the epilogue (what was predicted for the future and how it made the heroine feel) even though we were in the middle of the book. Those changes were distracting.

I would recommend this book, but be prepared. It isn't an easy book to swallow and it will leave you slightly pissed off, slightly happy at the ending, and sad.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking Chances.