Suzanna's Reviews > War Brides

War Brides by Helen Bryan

F 50x66
Sep 09, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction

The women in the story had such varying personalities. One seemed spoiled and selfish but in he end she was the most giving. Another who was was miss organized and seemed to be the most stable ended up making quick decision that was most important for her. One was a jewish girl who escaped the clutches of Hitler by an almost extreme plan her plans her parents had made which was against her wishes, but necessary. Another was a lower class English child who became a servant in a wealthy manner. These women are so very different and yet they have a bond that lasts over a life time. I was shocked by the ending but remembered it could have happened if I'd paid more attention to the introduction. Everyone's lives took a different turn from the beginning because of the war. I wouldn't label it a romance just because it is titled "War Brides." The focus of the book is more what happens to change these women lives because of the WWII. I had to go back a re read the beginning to remember who came from where so play close attention to the Intro and the first couple of chapters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War Brides.