Jayne Charles's Reviews > My Dear I Wanted to Tell You

My Dear I Wanted to Tell You by Louisa Young

5862079
Sep 11, 12

Read from September 09 to 11, 2012

This was an outstanding piece of writing from an author who clearly has an awesome command of language. Concerning class prejudice in World War I and expanding to cover other - unexpected - topics, it was rich in detail and emotionally charged throughout. I loved the author’s style of writing, it is sort of combative, challenging, requiring the reader to sit up and take notice, interpret, think.

I was astonished how well the national mindset of almost a hundred years ago was rendered. One section in particular I think about again and again, where Riley joins up on an impulse and has to state on the form he fills in his intended length of service. “One year or duration of war. Duration of war of course. He didn’t want to spend a whole year in the army.”

Quite simply, this was a stunning book in every way. It was fascinating to read of its factual origins in the notes at the end, and learn that more books are to come about these characters. Excellent news!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dear I Wanted to Tell You.