Natasha's Reviews > The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

F 50x66
Sep 09, 2012

Read in September, 2012

A must read is Eric Carle’s a very hungry caterpillar. I read this book to my reception class and fell in love with its simple brilliance.

A bright and colourful picture book, I found that my students immediately engaged with the story of the hungry caterpillar that ate its way through a mountain of food before emerging as a beautiful butterfly.

The picture book is filled with distinctive collage illustrations which includes charming cut out holes which the caterpillar had munched through and great simple text. In addition, Carle incorporates many educational themes such as counting the days of the week, different food varieties and the life cycle of a caterpillar. This is done in a fun and imaginative way; a great example of this is the food being presented in number sets “one apple, two pears” etc. The picture book can easily be incorporated into any reception class lesson and its definitive spark makes it easier for children to pick up core learning schemes.

Overall it is easy to see why a very hungry caterpillar is described as one of the greatest childhood classics of all time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Very Hungry Caterpillar.