Lightreads's Reviews > A Fistful of Charms

A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison

Dec 27, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, urban-fantasy, romance, fantasy, lgbt
Read in January, 2006

This is a road trip book, taking Rachel (witch), and eventually Ivy (living vampire), out of town with a newly reconciled Jencks (pixie) to chase after Nick (human) the ex boyfriend and thief, a potentially powerful artifact, and a lot of werewolves. It’s funny, because though things do happen here and the plot carries forward, I am left with the impression of a placeholder book. Which is still not a bad thing, mind you, and I think Harrison’s instinct to get the original three out of the Hollows for a while is a good one. She’s developing as a writer – the climax of this book has some lovely, aching thematic overtones as Rachel tries to save/kill a living vampire who is in constant, excruciating agony from an unnamed illness. I think this is the first time Harrison’s managed to weave plot and theme together so neatly – she’s getting the trick of letting the plot follow the heart of the story, rather than the other way around, I think. Also, the pixies are hilarious and fascinating – toothbrushes! Karaoke!

Still, I did miss the usual supporting cast, particularly Trent (please go there, you’d better go there) and I was not quite convinced by the evolution of Rachel and Ivy’s complicated relationship as friends/colleagues/potential lovers/savior and vampire supplicant. It’s one of those things that make sense on analysis, but which on reading is viscerally startling and out-of-left field. And I suppose that’s how it would feel, but in this case, my sense of literary form and my sense of how people operate were not both satisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fistful of Charms.

05/22/2016 marked as: read

Nichole (Dirrty H) I totally agree; Rachel's sudden about face was startling. Interesting and fun to read, but totally out of left field and out of keeping with the character Harrison spent 3 books creating. Not only the decision she made, but her feelings. She seemed so ambivalent about Ivy for so long, I sometimes got the feeling she didn't even really like her that much, and suddenly she's saying she loves her and she's her best friend... I didn't really get that.