Heather's Reviews > The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Feb 12, 09

bookshelves: classics, childrens, 5-star-reads
Read in February, 2009

Even though this was the first time I have read this, I was very familiar with the story. There is a movie version of this that was one of our family's favorites when I was younger, and I saw it numerous times. I really, really wish that I had read the book first because I lost some of the mysteriousness of the story. I would love to have read this without a clue as to what was going to happen.

My favorite character, I think, is Susan Sowerby, Dickon's mom. She is such a neat character with incredible insight into the workings of children, which is no surprise as she has twelve of them! I enjoyed the character Colin much more in the book versus the movie. In the movie he was really a rather irritating little guy, but I grew to love him in the book.

The last chapter is by far my favorite part of the book! It is what pushed my rating from 4 stars to 5. Such a great message there at the ending talking about the powerful effect our thoughts have on our disposition and our outlook on life.

I love the truth in this passage:
One of the new things people began to find out in the last century was that thoughts - just mere thoughts - are as powerful as electric batteries - as good for one as sunlight is, or as bad for one as poison. To let a sad thought or a bad one get into your mind is as dangerous as letting a scarlet fever germ get into your body. If you let it stay there after it has got in you may never get over it as long as you live.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Garden.

01/30/2009 page 94
26.26% "I'm thoroughly enjoying this sweet story! Why have I waited so long to read this?!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura You'd love A Little Princess, then! I just started reading this one last night.

(Also started the Big O a little while ago!)

Colleen The Secret Garden was my absolute favorite book as a little girl, I couldn't begin to count how many times I read it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and still do, let me know what you think when you finish reading.

Heather I'm really loving this book! I think the writing is great and gives such great descriptions that I really feel like I'm there with the characters. Colleen, I can see why you read this one over and over! I can definitely see myself doing the same!

Laura, I bought this one and A Little Princess at the same time. I had to close my eyes, mix them up, and pick which one to read first! :)
Are you planning on reading this along with Outlander? I imagine I'll set this one aside until I finish Outlander. I have a hard time switching between different stories. Plus, I have The Audacity of Hope waiting for me at the library to read along with the group this month. I figure that one will be doable alongside Outlander...one fiction and one non-fiction.

Colleen I know! Isn't it such a wonderful story? If I didn't have 8 more books to plow through for my 50 books in a year challenge, I would re-read it right now!

Laura Love your review Heather - those lines in the book at the end really grabbed me too. I was audio-ing it at that point, and I rewound it a couple of times. Great stuff. Terrific book.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Heather!

message 7: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty I haven't read it but I will along with A Little Princess which I just obtained from a friend who gave it to me for my granddaughter. Thanks to all of you!

Heather I look forward to hearing what you think of them, Rusty! I still need to get to A Little Princess.

message 9: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty My copy of A Little Princess is too worn to post but still intact with good binding but I would be happy to just send it to you as I'll read it in the next week. Just send me your address if you are interested.

Heather I actually have a copy of A Little Princess but thanks for the nice offer! :) The poor book is sitting on the shelf just gathering dust. This is what happens when I buy more books than I am able to get to. But they all look so nice sitting there on the shelves! I can't resist adding to my collection. :)

message 11: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty Ah, yes, I understand. I am in the same boat. Just went to the thrift store and bought a bag full of books for $2 - for my grandchildren and myself (most of which I have always wanted to read) so here we go again.