Indrani's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

6341900
Sep 08, 12

Read in August, 2012

To be fair, "The Weird Sisters" falls into a genre that I am not terribly familiar with, and is well outside my usual sci-fi/fantasy addiction, and so reviewing it is a bit difficult for me.

I came by this book through the choice of a book club (not a bad thing, it's expanded my reading horizons in some delightful ways. If there is something I share with the titular sisters, it is a love of reading). In some ways, it felt like the sort of thing one of my high-school English teachers might've assigned (and then promptly tore apart in analysis, thus destroying any joy I'd taken from the reading) - in others, it was simply an enjoyable meander through the lives of three sisters, each fighting her own demons, and each sometimes failing to recognize not only the strength of the bond with her siblings, but also her own internal fortitude. As a sister who has a close relationship with my youngest sib (my sister), and a rather more ambivalent one with my brother, much of the turmoil between the sisters rang so very true.

The use of Shakespeare was clever, but not overbearing, the prose was clear. The pace was a little slow for me at times - like fishing on a slow river - but for all that, it was an enjoyable read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.