Nenia Campbell's Reviews > Persuasion

2190064
Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: litry-fiction
Read from September 08 to 16, 2012

I feel like I'm committing blasphemy. This is Jane Austen, beloved by all! Normally, she's beloved by me, as well, but I just couldn't be persuaded to love Persuasion.

It's BORING.

At least, to me it is. The plot unravels slowly. Then it kind of picks up for a while, and then just when it starts getting interesting, Austen pounds the brakes because God forbid any ladies' sensibilities are tried by emotional exertion.

No. Apparently she was dying at the time she wrote this book. Maybe that's why it's so sad and tired and miserable; it lacks the luster of her other books.

I cared enough to Wiki a summary of the book to make sure that Wentworth and Anne end up together. They do, so I'm going to save myself one hundred pages of heartache and angst, and walk away feeling satisfied, if not slightly cheated.

1.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

09/16/2012 page 154
65.0% ""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maria are her other works worth reading? this was the first novel of her that i've read and i'm really dissapointed.

Nenia Campbell Some of them are, indeed! I particularly recommended Northhanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice, and Emma. They're fun! :)

Maria Nenia wrote: "Some of them are, indeed! I particularly recommended Northhanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice, and Emma. They're fun! :)"

i've read some reviews about her always telling the same story over and over again. is it true? even though i want to read pride and prejudice and sense and sensibility so much, i'm kind of scared that they might be really boring like persuasion. :/