Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌ 's Reviews > Finding Zach

Finding Zach by Rowan Speedwell

Jan 19, 13

bookshelves: adored, captive-slave-forced-marriage, gaymance
Read in January, 2012

I love this book to hell and back.

It's one of those books that make your heart ache constantly, and sometimes you find yourself holding your breath without even realising it. But then, there are also those moments where random bits of humor jump out at you and make you laugh, half because you aren't expecting the humor.

The blurb kind of scares you (well, it scared me), which is also why I hadn't read it until now. But really, the story isn't about torture, pain, being abused or anything. That's not what this book is selling. That's just the back story. The flashbacks will make you squirm at times, or make your brows furrow, but it's not just that.

This story is very much about recovering. Recovering from physical and mental abuse, and fighting back and overcoming traumas. It's also about loving and being loved despite those experiences. And damn is this story beautiful.

Sometimes you do grit your teeth, or you might just feel yourself tear up at certain times, whether it be because of sadness, or pride or whatever. But gosh if it doesn't hurt so good. This book is angsty (well, obviously..) but it's not the kind of angst that totally obliterates your heart with a bazooka, then spits upon the remains. It's the kind where you're like "Well fuck, this hurts. But it's okay. This will pass. We'll get our Happily Ever After."

The ending wasn't amazing, exciting or whatever. It wasn't utterly dramatic, ending with some kind of gunfight, or a ransom paid or what not. But I loved it nonetheless. It was a wonderful, slow, rolling stop, the kind when you know that once it stops, you've reached the destination you want.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Zach.