Amy's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Dec 27, 08

I don't do this often, but I am commanding my fellow Good Read Sisters to stop what they are doing, order a pizza for the family and hide yourselves away with this book! You all deserve a treat and if I could I would come run your homes while you read - this book is that good. It's unique - all letters - but please don't be put off by that. On the contrary, Shaffer is able to add an edge of humor with this device...and is she also paying homage to Anne Bronte and the Tenant...? [if you read it you'll understand this question] And you all know how I feel about Anne.
This is one of those great books that reminds us that the written word is a universal language that can speak to all of us, regardless of age or class. It reminds us why we read: to know that we are not alone. Enjoy!

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ndshill Well that is quite an endorsement! I can't wait to read it.

Sally

Kathryn I tried to find this at b&n but it was sold out. sigh..

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Kathryn wrote: "I tried to find this at b&n but it was sold out. sigh.."

Keep trying! It's so worth it.

message 4: by Sheila (new) - added it

Sheila Thank you for putting it so nicely! I can't put it down! I have RA, so finely broke down and bought a Kindle! I love it!!!! If you don't have one, please consider getting one....It's great! I didn't realize how much I missed reading :) This is a great book, I laugh, I cry...I am amazed that any one wouldn't like it!

Please, share other books you enjoy! Sheila

Kathryn Even though I have never met you! I adore you! I loved this book!

message 6: by Sheila (last edited Jul 16, 2009 11:22AM) (new) - added it

Sheila Amy, wonderful review - well put Sister! Everyone,
I know many prefer books in their paper form, but I read this on my Kindle. Never have to wait for another shipment to come in. it is instant. I have RA and the Kindle is lightweight and easier for me to manage than a book, even a paperback. Plus, you can make the font larger if you need to! Sheila K. in Alaska

Molly I read it on my Nook, loved this book!

Emma Glaisher Sorry to quibble, but there's nothing unique about a book being all letters! And actually it isn't, we suddenly lurch into Isola's 'Facts'. Wonder if this was the niece finishing off the book with a 'happy ending'?