Monica's Reviews > Excalibur

Excalibur by Bernard Cornwell

2251935
Sep 30, 12

Read in September, 2012

I was reading this to Dad, but knew we wouldn't finish it. Now I wish I had just read and read for a week, and finished it for him. He wouldn't have followed it of course, but at least I could have finished the book with him. However, I did leave off reading to him when Arthur was in a happy place, so perhaps that was the better choice. Just read the last screen on my Kindle, so my last task for him is done, and that did hit rather hard.

Yes, this probably is the best Cornwell series. I didn't think so at first, but the ending of the legend does round things out. I was a bit miffed that Cornwell treated the magic as real, but I'm wrong to be miffed. He was writing a magic legend, so he had to include the magic, even as he made the point that Arthur himself preferred reason (a hint of the justification that Arthur was superior to the rest?) It's a strong, emotion-packed tale, one that perhaps is as worthy of Arthur, if he ever existed, as is any other.

Anyone who enjoys Cornwell and British history should read this trilogy. Cornwell at his best, and that's entertainment, along with as much "history" as can fit into a magic legend.

Bravo.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Excalibur.