Patrice Sartor's Reviews > Carry the One

Carry the One by Carol Anshaw

Sep 09, 12

bookshelves: bonding-through-trauma, drugs-alcohol-and-or-crime, love-sex-romance, music-art, parent-child, realistic-fiction, siblings
Read from August 29 to September 09, 2012

Everyone deals with tragedy in their own way. When guilt is involved, that alters things too. This story mainly takes you through the lives of three siblings, relating their connections with each other, their spouses/partners, their parents, and how the accident has affected them. Although I don't know anyone who has endured something like this, Anshaw made the story feel real for me, and relate-able. The character development is strong, and I am pleased at who ended up with whom.

There is pain along the way, plus passion, joy, loss, complacency, and success. The examples (not really metaphors, but close) the characters used to describe their feelings were thought-provoking and spot-on. Nothing was over-the-top. It's just a somewhat brief, well-told story. I would like to read another book which continues where this one left off, or one that delves even further into the characters.

My main complaint is the ending--I feel like it was supposed to mean something, but I don't know what. Maybe each reader should decide for themselves, but I just thought it was confusing and a bit out of left field.

Other than that, really good read!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry the One.