Jon's Reviews > The Fall of Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Jun 11, 2013

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction, read-in-my-40s, space-opera, award-winners, hugo-nominee, nebula-nominee, liked-it
Recommended to Jon by: Sandi Kallas
Read from December 28, 2008 to January 05, 2009 , read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Hyperion.

12/31/2008 page 7
1.35% "Starting Part One"
01/01/2009 page 25
4.84% "Middle of Chapter 3 - at the Time Tombs with the pilgrims"
01/01/2009 page 51
9.86% "Starting Chapter Seven"
01/01/2009 page 79
15.28% "Starting Chapter Ten"
01/02/2009 page 98
18.96% "Middle of chapter thirteen"
01/03/2009 page 127
24.56% "Starting Part Two (Chapter Sixteen)"
01/04/2009 page 186
35.98% "Starting Chapter Twenty-Four"
01/04/2009 page 245
47.39% "Starting Part Three Chapter Thirty-One"
01/04/2009 page 314
60.74% "Searching for the missing third of the human trinity godhead"
01/05/2009 page 517
100.0% "Finished ... now to write the review."

Sandi I was so connected to Rachel's story. I had to find out what happened to her.

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon How did you feel when she turned out to also be Khassad's lover/nemesis?

Sandi I think I kind of expected it. As I understood it though, she wasn't really Khassad's nemesis, that was a construct that took her form. The whole AI thing got really complicated and made it a bit hard to follow. I also read Endymion and The Rise of Endymion, so I know that there's more to the story than what you get in the Hyperion books. I don't want to say much because I'm afraid I'll mix in things that happened in the Endymion books with the Hyperion books.

It's with the Endymion books that you learn the true nature of the Shrike and the cruciforms. However, you really don't have to go on to those books. Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion do stand on their own as a duology. (Is that even a word?)

message 4: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Not sure that I will continue on to Endymion/Rise of Endymion. Perhaps when the to-read shelf is thinner. :)

I believe duology is a word. Biology is already used for something else. :P

Sandi LOL!

(I did wait a few months before moving on to the Endymion books.)

Brad I liked your review, Jon. I've been holding off from reading it until I finished reading the book myself. I was of the opposite feelings as you when it came to the Canterbury Tale format, though, but I figured that style was an either love it or hate it proposition.

Have you decided to go on with the series, after all? Or are you finished? I have yet to decide.

message 7: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon I probably will not go on with the series. It was an interesting tale but not compelling enough to continue.

message 8: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Excellent review. I say that as I had begun my own and it read as yours. After reading the two novels the essence of the story is the conflict between the AIs and humanity, not so much the pilgrims and the Shrike.