Marie's Reviews > Neuromancer

Neuromancer by William Gibson

1200328
Sep 12, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction, cyberpunk, dystopia, classics, speculative-fiction
Read from September 08 to 12, 2012

Well, I can't say that I loved Neuromancer but.... Well, let's just say it made me respond. So I'll think of something.

Initial Thoughts: Hadn't heard of this at all, and then saw it three or four times in less than a week, and while this happens with other books-called-classics, for once my library actually had this one!

Gibson definitely doesn't baby the reader. And the first two chapters weren't all that compelling to me, but before I read chapter three, I picked up Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose again and realized Gibson is doing some clever things linguistically (because I'm paying attention now). This may work out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neuromancer.

Quotes Marie Liked

William Gibson
“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”
William Gibson, Neuromancer

09/08/2012 page 55
09/08/2012 page 58
21.0% ""There was a kind of ghostly teenage DNA at work in the Sprawl, something that carried the coded precepts of various short-lived subcults and replicated them at odd intervals.""
09/08/2012 page 77
28.0% "'The girls looked like tall, exotic grazing animals, swaying gracefully and unconsciously with the moviment of the train, their high heels like polished hooves against the gray metal of the car's floor.'"
09/08/2012 page 81
29.0% "You can tell this was an eighties edition: there are blank pages between chapters. It may not be cost-effective, but it's a rather more pleasant reading experience."
09/08/2012 page 87
32.0% "'The road in from the city had been dead straight, like a neat incision, laying the city open.'"
09/08/2012 page 101
37.0% "The best kind of genre story, the kind that makes me especially angry and the way "literary" society disparages even the word genre. That said, I'd hate to try and /teach/ this."
09/08/2012 page 123
45.0% "I should probably stop at least long enough to eat."
09/11/2012 page 195
71.0% ""The narrow midbay was walled in imitation ebony veneer and floored with gray Italian styles. Case felt as though he were invading some rich man's private spa by way of the shower."" 1 comment
09/12/2012 page 207
76.0% ""There had been a room filled with shelves of books, a million flat leaves of yellowing paper pressed between bindings of cloth or leather...""
09/12/2012 page 233
85.0% ""The sand was the shade of tarnished silver that hadn't gone entirely black. The beach was made of sand, the beach was very long, the sand was damp, the bottoms of his jeans were wet from the sand....He held himself and rocked, singing a song without words or tune.""
09/12/2012 page 243
89.0% ""'To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way.'""
09/12/2012 page 251
92.0% ""[He] screamed. But not in pain. It was a shriek of rage, so pure, so refined, that it lacked all humanity.""
09/12/2012 page 257
94.0% ""His mouth filled with an aching taste of blue.""
show 1 hidden update…